Manitoba’s top doctor says nearly a month of widespread closures helped avert some worst case COVID-19 scenarios this fall, though even as those benefits surface, the high caseload and heavy toll on health-care and families continues.
“These restrictions have made a difference,” said Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin. “We were obviously expecting them to go down further.”
Roussin announced 325 cases on Monday. Of 12 new deaths, nearly half are linked to care home or hospital outbreaks, and all involved people over 60.
The five-day test positivity rate is at 13.7 per cent provincewide and 14.6 for Winnipeg.
There are 310 people in hospital due to the illness, down 38 from Sunday, with 39 people in intensive care, down from 43 on Sunday.
A woman in her 60s from Southern Health, linked to Winnipeg’s Health Sciences Centre outbreak in the GA3 unit, is among the dozen deaths announced Monday. Half were in Winnipeg, two each were in the Southern Health and Northern Health regions, and one person died in the Prairie Mountain and Interlake-Eastern health regions.
“These are all Manitobans lost to us,” Roussin said.
The latest deaths pushed Manitoba past 400 so far, and the announcement comes after a weekend when 33 deaths were reported — the deadliest two-day period so far, with a daily record 19 deaths on Saturday.