NEW YORK –– The 2019-20 BIG EAST Conference men’s basketball schedule released today features a seventh straight season of comprehensive coverage by FOX Sports, the league’s television partner, and more over-the-air national broadcast telecasts than any other conference.
The exposure on the FOX broadcast network includes 17 games in the regular season, all on weekends. The league’s continuing double round-robin competition concludes with FOX Sports’ complete coverage of the BIG EAST Tournament played at Madison Square Garden March 11-14.
The BIG EAST will have at least 22 over-the-air network broadcasts – 17 on FOX in the regular season, plus the BIG EAST Tournament title game, and four on CBS Sports.
The number of FS1 telecasts again will top 100. All 90 regular-season games will be televised. Play-by-play announcer Gus Johnson along with analysts Bill Raftery and Jim Jackson are back to form the FOX Sports lead announce teams.
CBS Sports and CBS Sports Network will televise select BIG EAST games, with CBS Sports carrying four conference contests this season, the highest total in the BIG EAST’s current 10-team configuration. Included in the four-game CBS Sports slate is a meeting between Georgetown and St. John’s at Madison Square Garden on Feb. 2 at 1 p.m. ET.
The CBS Sports Network schedule includes 13 conference contests and three non-league battles. The first BIG EAST game on CBS Sports Network is Marquette at Creighton on New Year’s Day.
The 90-game BIG EAST conference schedule begins Monday, Dec. 30, with a doubleheader on FS1, Xavier at Villanova at 6:30 p.m., followed by Seton Hall at DePaul at 8:30 p.m.
The conference openers continue on Dec. 31 with another FS1 doubleheader. Georgetown visits Providence at 5:30 p.m. and Butler plays St. John’s in Carnesecca Arena at 7:30 p.m. On Jan. 1, Marquette plays at Creighton with the tipoff time TBD.
The BIG EAST is coming off a season that had all 10 teams earning postseason invitations for the first time in the history of conference, which celebrated its 40th birthday on May 29. Over the first six years of the 10-team BIG EAST, the league has earned 32 NCAA Tournament invitations, averaging more than five NCAA bids per season.
FOX and FS1 again serve as the television home of the BIG EAST Tournament at Madison Square Garden. The 2020 tourney will be played March 11-14. The World’s Most Famous Arena will host the BIG EAST Tournament for the 38th consecutive year. It’s college basketball’s longest running conference tournament held at the same venue. The FOX broadcast network will carry the championship game at 6:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 14. All other rounds, which total eight games, will be telecast on FS1.
Additionally, FS1 will carry all four BIG EAST home games in the fifth Gavitt Tipoff Games, an annual series between the BIG EAST and the Big Ten Conferences held during the first full week of the regular season. Those four home games are: Minnesota at Butler on Nov. 12, Purdue at Marquette on Nov. 13, along with a doubleheader on Nov. 14, Penn State at Georgetown and Michigan State at Seton Hall. The four Big Ten home games will be carried on FS1 and BTN.
FOX Sports also will telecast the five BIG EAST home contests in the inaugural BIG EAST/Big 12 Scheduling Series, which will be played in December. The schedule: Texas Tech at DePaul on Dec. 4, West Virginia versus St. John’s at Madison Square Garden on Dec. 7, Oklahoma at Creighton on Dec. 17 and a doubleheader on Dec. 21, Kansas at Villanova and Texas at Providence.
Highlights of the 2019-20 schedule:
• BIG EAST coverage on the FOX broadcast network includes 13 league games and four non-league contests. FOX will carry BIG EAST doubleheaders on Dec. 21, Feb. 22, Feb. 29, and March 7 – all Saturdays. The doubleheader on Dec. 21 includes two games in the BIG EAST/Big 12 Scheduling Series. Villanova hosts Kansas at noon followed by Providence taking on visiting Texas at 2 p.m. In the first FOX/BIG EAST conference twinbill, Marquette plays at Providence and noon and Villanova travels to Xavier for a 2:30 p.m. tipoff on Feb. 22. On Feb. 29, Providence plays at Villanova at noon followed by Seton Hall at Marquette at 2:30 p.m.
• The regular season concludes on Saturday, March 7, with all 10 teams in action. FOX has a doubleheader with Villanova visiting Georgetown at noon and Seton Hall traveling to Creighton at 2:30 p.m. Marquette meets St. John’s at Madison Square Garden at noon on FSN. An FS1 doubleheader has DePaul at Providence at 6:30 p.m. followed by Butler at Xavier at 8:30 p.m.
• The first FOX telecast of the season shows Butler hosting Florida on Dec. 7 at noon in Hinkle Fieldhouse. A week later, Georgetown hosts Syracuse at 1 p.m. on Dec. 14. The FOX broadcast network schedule is listed in this release following the composite league schedule.
• CBS Sports will telecast four BIG EAST league contests: On Jan. 25, Villanova plays at Providence at 1 p.m. St. John’s hosts Georgetown at Madison Square Garden on Feb. 2 at 1 p.m., Super Bowl Sunday. On Feb. 23, St. John’s plays at Seton Hall at 2 p.m. Georgetown hosts Xavier on March 1 at 2 p.m.
• CBS Sports Network has another strong lineup of BIG EAST contests, including 13 conference games and three non-conference contests. The first league game is Marquette at Creighton on Jan. 1.
• For the sixth straight year, the BIG EAST Tournament championship game will be carried on FOX. Tipoff will be 6:30 p.m. ET. The FS1 tourney coverage will begin with a first-round-doubleheader on Wednesday, March 11. Quarterfinal doubleheaders will be played Thursday afternoon and evening, March 12. The semifinal doubleheader will be held Friday, March 13, followed by the title game on Saturday evening, March 14.
• FS2 and the FOX Sports Regional Networks will air games not carried by FOX, FS1, CBS or CBS Sports Network, including conference and non-conference contests.
• The BIG EAST will feature an 18-game double round-robin conference schedule for a seventh straight season.
BIG EAST basketball during the 2019-20 season will also be seen on the BIG EAST Digital Network. The FOX Sports App provides live streaming video of FOX Sports content at home or on-the-go. FOX Sports App users, who are also subscribers of participating video providers, can live stream men’s basketball telecasts carried on the FOX broadcast network, FS1 and FS2. Games televised on the FOX Sports Regional Networks can be streamed on FOX Sports GO.
Shootaround, the BIG EAST’s live weekly men’s basketball online show that captures interviews and highlights of league action, will begin its third season in 2019-20. BEDN will carry 225 live streamed events in 2019-20, including every women’s basketball conference game not carried by FOX Sports or CBS Sports Network. BEDN content also will include Olympic sports weekly updates, selected news coverage and shoulder programming.
CBS Sports’ coverage will be available to stream live via the CBS All Access subscription service, with additional coverage on CBSSports.com and the CBS Sports app.
The BIG EAST will conduct its Men’s and Women’s Basketball Media Day on Oct. 10 at Madison Square Garden.
Each of the BIG EAST’s 10 schools will separately announce their full individual schedules.