Lucas Giolito of the Chicago White Sox has been voted the American League Pitcher of the Month, and Hyun-Jin Ryu of the Los Angeles Dodgers has been named the National League Pitcher of the Month. The announcements were made earlier today on MLB Network.
Giolito earned his first career AL Pitcher of the Month Award, and became the first White Sox winner since Chris Sale during his All-Star 2015 campaign (June). Ryu also claimed his first monthly honor, becoming the first Dodgers hurler to accomplish the feat since Rich Hill in July 2017. Following Ryu’s award-winning month, each of the previous four Dodgers pitchers to win NL Pitcher of the Month have been left-handed (also: Hill, Alex Wood, Clayton Kershaw).
Lucas Giolito, Chicago White Sox
• Across six starts, compiled a perfect 5-0 record with 46 strikeouts, 10 walks and a 1.74 ERA over 41.1 innings pitched. Permitted just 24 hits and two home runs.
• Notched his seventh win of the season in his final start of the month on May 28th, tossing 8.0 innings of three-run ball with a season-high 10 strikeouts. Extended his career-high winning streak to six games, which marked the longest streak by a White Sox pitcher since Sale won his first nine starts of the 2016 campaign.
• Became the first White Sox hurler to earn five wins while posting a 1.75 ERA-or-better with at least 45 strikeouts in a single calendar month since Jack McDowell in July 1994. Became the first pitcher in franchise history to accomplish the feat in May.
• In each outing during his award-winning month, tossed at least 5.0 innings without permitting more than three runs. Lowered his ERA from 5.30 to 2.85 following his dominant month on the mound.
Hyun-Jin Ryu, Los Angeles Dodgers
• Registered a perfect 5-0 record with 36 strikeouts and a 0.59 ERA across six starts, while limiting the opposition to just 28 hits and three walks. Did not surrender a home run.
• Improved to 8-1 on the season following his performance on May 30th in which he tossed 7.2 shutout innings with seven punchouts. Enters play today with the most wins in the NL and a Major League-best 1.48 ERA.
• Became the fourth different pitcher (fifth time) in franchise history to record at least five wins and 35 strikeouts to go along with a 0.60 ERA-or-better in a month, joining Fernando Valenzuela (April 1981), Hall of Famer Don Drysdale (May 1968) and Nap Rucker (September 1910 & June 1908).
• Became the first pitcher since Ubaldo Jiménez (2010) to begin a campaign with 11 consecutive starts of two runs-or-less.
Others receiving votes for AL Pitcher of the Month included Jake Odorizzi (4-0, 0.94 ERA, 28.2 IP, 31 SO) of the Minnesota Twins and All-Star Justin Verlander (4-1, 2.29 ERA, 35.1 IP, 42 SO) of the Houston Astros.
Others receiving votes for NL Pitcher of the Month included Brandon Woodruff (4-0, 1.36 ERA, 33.0 IP, 37 SO) of the Milwaukee Brewers; rookie Mike Soroka (3-0, 0.79 ERA, 34.0 IP, 25 SO) of the Atlanta Braves; Kyle Hendricks (4-0, 1.81 ERA, 44.2 IP, 37 SO) of the Chicago Cubs; and All-Star Stephen Strasburg (3-2, 2.61 ERA, 41.1 IP, 50 SO) of the Washington Nationals.